Monday 16 July 2012

Paluszki

So far I’ve only baked sweet things but I fancied making something polish and came across a recipe for paluszki which are similar to bread sticks but are made with potato. They turned out wonderfully light and buttery and went down a treat with my boyfriend and my family.  Such a simple recipe and they can be decorated with pretty much anything you fancy. I used poppy seeds on one batch and sunflower seeds on the other. The only thing I would change next time would be to add some salt to the dough as I make it. So here they are from one of my Baked and Delicious magazines.

For approximately 50 small paluszki:

175 g cold mashed potato
175 g butter, softened
175 g plain flour
A selection of seeds
1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 180oC (gas 4 or 360oF).

Rub the butter into the flour (or cheat like me and use a mixer!) until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the mashed potato and mix together until it forms a sticky dough. Wrap it in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Turn out onto a well floured board and kneed for a couple minutes. I found my dough was still quite sticky so I used quite a lot of extra flour. Roll the dough out to about ½ cm thick and cut it into strips 1 cm wide and about 8 cm in length. Lay the strips onto a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper and brush with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with your chosen seeds and bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool and then eat!






 
Lizzi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment