Friday 13 July 2012

Left over sponge

It was my mum’s birthday yesterday so I made her a special cake but before I did I wanted to make sure that I would be able to make a good cake. Originally I was going to make Madeira cake but then settled on a normal sponge recipe. I found a great tip for sponges: weigh the eggs (however many you are going to use) WITHOUT the shells and use equal amounts of butter, sugar and flour. It will work perfectly. I made a sponge but didn’t have anything to do with it so I experimented and made some simple cream and strawberry cakes and some chewy chocolate truffles. I will link the sponge recipe after I write it!

For the strawberry cakes I used a circular cutter to cut the sponge, whipped up some double cream with a bit of sherry (I’m not 70 but it tastes good!), spread it on the cakes and topped with a whole strawberry. Simple but scrumptious.

For the chewy chocolate truffles:

About an ⅛ of a plain vanilla sponge which I guess is approximately 200 g!
100 g fruit and nut chocolate, melted
50 ml cherry brandy (alcoholic theme here!)
100 ml double cream

Put the oven on a low temperature, not more than 100oC, crumble the sponge, put it on a baking tray and dry it out in the oven for about 15 minutes. Be careful not to burn it. Put the crumbs in a bowl, add the chocolate, cream and brandy and mix well. Divide them between mini muffin cases and chill in the fridge. These were completely made from whatever I had in the cupboard but I will definitely be making them again – when I got up in the morning my boyfriend had eaten all of them!!

And here they all are!


Strawberry cakes


Chewy chocolate truffles


Chewy chocolate truffles

Strawberry cakes

I hope you like them!

Lizzi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment